Japan communication set up

 This is how we can keep in touch during my bicycle trip in Japan. Just comment to this post, and we should all receive an email notification that someone has left a message.



Comments

  1. This is such a great idea! We’ll be cycling with you in spirit and sending lots of love from nz

    ReplyDelete
  2. So everyone is on board! We’ll be saying to you “Bon voyage” in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See if you can find the map of my trip on this blog. https://hadashi.travelmap.net/japan-2026

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wim, not long to go until your big adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s finally here. Enjoy your trip to Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dad, great parkrun yesterday, and such a small group! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iacinta, William’s luggage has been missing, so he did it barefoot yesterday ๐Ÿฆถ He said he met a foreigner couple there and everyone was friendly! Mami

      Delete
    2. Hi Iacinta, all is going well. Next park run in 2 days.Got my shoes now!

      Delete
  7. Hi every one. I am at Huberts today. Heading north on Friday. I gave some of the oats, peanut butter etc to the family, and was loaned some rain gear. Yes, Iacinta - small groups. I came 4th in last weeks run - my best place ever! Only a few days to go for you before you get gas and hot water! Sorted out with Ivor re Shimanoumi kaidan. Will enjoy 2 nights with him in a hotel then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s good to hear that your trip has been going well. It sounds like you’ve had many days of rain so far but hopefully the weather will improve henceforth! Can’t wait to see more photos kind people send my way!

      Delete
  8. Today I finally found an internet cafe chain that I had known nothing about。I will be able to use them from now on. Message me in the next 2 hours and we can talk!I am meeting Ivor tomorrow, and am just 12 kilometres from where I meet him tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just going to taker a shower for the next few minutes . . . (William)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I just noticed your message! It’s good that you found the Internet cafe. Hope you can find another one in the near future!

      I’ve been checking your time at park runs and impressed how consistent you are with running. We went to watch the movie “Project Hail Mary”the other day. I highly recommend it if you are able to see it on the return trip.

      Say hi to Ivor and have a great time cycling one of the most beautiful cycling roads in Japan!

      Delete
  10. OK well I,ve finished the two days wityIvor. A lot of fun, even if her cycled like Supermario! I am now at Himeji.It has been rqaining hard, so I needed to finb
    d another Internet Cafe. If you get this message in time, you may be able to rev\commend a cheap hotel for the night - but that,s reaaly my job, isn,t it? Anyway, if you reply in the next couple of hours i WILL ABLE TO READ IT. oH ใฎใ†ใT、Sใฏใฃใบใซใ‚“๏ผง?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha, I can imagine how that was like! I received photos of you two and with park run participants - the one you guys were having a meal at a cafe. Very nice!

      Delete
  11. ใŠ๏ผซ
    ๏ผฏ๏ผซ ๏ผฉ๏ผฆ ๏ฝ‰ ๏ผต๏ผณ๏ผฅ ๏ผฃ๏ผก๏ผฐ๏ผณ ๏ผฉ๏ผด ๏ผท๏ผฏ๏ผฒ๏ผซ๏ผณ . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi guys, just to let you know that I am at Otsu. I arrived here earlier in the week and took the opportunity of cyling around the largest lake in Japan - about 200 kilometres. It took 3 or 4 day.Then I treated myself by staying in a capsule hotel last night. In an hours time I will take pใ‚rtใ‚คใƒณmy⑦th ใƒ‘rkใ‚‹๏ฝŽ。ใ‚๏ฝŒ๏ฝŒ ใ†ใ‡๏ฝŒ๏ฝŒ ใ†ใƒ๏ฝ”๏ฝˆ ใ‚ˆใ† 2 ๏ผฉ ๏ฝˆ๏ฝ๏ฝ๏ฝ….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that’s Lake Biwa. It must have been amazing to cycle all around it! I’d love to visit there again.

      Delete
  13. I hope you are getting these comments. Please reply if you are. Now I am at Ise. I will catch a ferry from Toba there on the way to Shizuoka. They say that a typhoon is coming but if so I will wait it out at a hotel. I went the wrong way this morning and wasted two and a half hours, so decided to stop off at this internet cafe to use the computer, do my laundry and have a nice shower. I think I was stung or bitten on my toe during the night the other day. Oh and Sachi, you can buy these great smoothies that you prepare in the combini shops. I try them now and again, and even have an ice-cream when I feel the need for a lift. Mami, remember those peanut chocolate clusters we used to get. I had one pack of those two days ago too. And I have even bought some new clothing - some shorts - from s shop in another Aeon Mall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember them! I used to think they are good but maybe my taste for chocolate has spoiled by some delicious ones in NZ๐Ÿ˜„ A new T-shirt and shorts ๐Ÿฉณ ! Good on you๐Ÿ˜‰

      Delete
    2. Not yet a new tee shirt but that’s an idea!

      Delete
  14. Just in case you were worried about the news of a typhoon in my area. No problem. I booked a night in a hotel, and am spending another night just as a rest day. It is already sunny and hot. The wind will be behind me as I continue to Shizuoka tommorrow. There on Saturday I will do another fun run. I am part the halfway point. Hope all is well at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s been over one and a half month since you left! Needless to say, you are always in my thoughts and I’m with you in spirit! Wishing you the best! xx

      Delete
  15. I am in Fuji City, just south of Mount Fuji. But you cannot see it as it is completely in clouds! I did see it yesterday, though. I didnt get to take part in todays park run. I couldnt find the location. And I have decided not to stress about them. I need to take it easy this second half of the trip. I slept more or less on the beach last night, and a strong wind blew through the night. It was a good sleep except for a dream where Sachi had to have an operation on her leg, and it was up to Mami and I to perform it. I wanted to refuse, but Mami step in and made the first deep cut, exposing the bone, and I had no choice then but to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I just noticed all the messages you wrote here! I had no idea you’ve been writing. Sorry, William! It sounds like you’ve been having a lot of adventure! I remember we also used to have rather vivid dreams during our trip 21 years ago. I’m glad to hear that you found a hotel when you needed it. Take it easy and rest well when your body asked for it. We’re doing well here, too. Sachi and I went for a drive to Moeraki the other day. Fish wife was closed but we had nice lunch at the tavern nearby. Hope your trip is going well. Looking forward to having a chat via Line when you get to Ivor and Aki.

      Delete
    2. I just showed Sachi all your messages, too. She wasn’t also getting any notifications. She said “yuck” when reading your dream, lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ Hopefully, you’ll have better dreams from now on. Sachi recently went to see a horror film with Georgia and her sister, aged 9! I was super impressed with her courage ๐Ÿ˜†

      Delete
    3. Seeing Mt Fuji in a close range must be pretty amazing! It was a pity you couldn’t take part in today’s parkrun. I was checking your email inbox to see if your time was sent via email. But never mind. You’ll have more opportunities, going up north. I’ll check this blog more regularly from now on!

      Delete
    4. My comments may sound strange if you read them chronologically, as I’m backtracking and replying randomly, ha-ha. I’m so happy to hear that you are enjoying your trip. I’m also very grateful for the emails and photos people send my way.

      Delete
    5. Hi William, I just received the third postcard from you. Thank you for writing and keeping us updated. It’s nice to hear that you experienced the highlight of the trip at Lake Biwa. What’s an amazing experience that you spotted the place we stayed so many years ago!

      Here, we are enjoying our quiet but nice time. The temperature is getting cooler and darker in the morning etc, but as you know, we have mild and beautiful days in between. BTW, your bike is ready to be picked up, but I asked Nathan to keep it in their shed until your return, as we don’t have any space in the shed at the moment.

      I asked Akisan to make a LINE call when you get to their place. Looking forward to seeing your face then!

      Delete
    6. Hi Dad! I have been seen many photos of your travels and read your post cards about where you are and what you are up to. Everything sounds like it’s going well! The only thing is that your beard is getting so long haha, I hope you are having so much fun and also making progress with your park runs. I have got so much to update you on when you are back. :)

      Delete
    7. I received emails from Norisan and Naoki along with photos. Norisan said that he was so happy to see you and his children having a chance to talk with you.

      Mark from Tekaka, whom you bumped into Zushi, also sent me a message and photo. Those encounters with interesting people are so great! I’m envious of you in that regard!

      Delete
  16. I have just caught up with your comments. Weird that you weren’t getting notifications. IVor loaned me a i-pad to write this while I am here. I’ll check for any of your replies. IVor suggested that Sachi could work for a few months before in winter at a ski resort as they really need people to help foreign clients (mainly from Australia). But. You might need to be 18 for that. I have an itchy tummy from where a centipede or millipede ran over it during he night a few days back. IT gave me a localized rash. by the way, I think I set a personal best for the park run with Ivor last. Saturday. MAybe because my weight is down to 72 kilograms - was 75 when I left New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the dreaded insect! But you were lucky that you didn’t get stung by them. They are quite nasty and cause you significant pain!

      In regards to your running time, I had checked it on Saturday and was very impressed! Your weight is nicely coming down, too. Sachi and I are eating very well here, meaning healthy, and I cut out all snacks pretty much. However, it’s getting into winter here and my mind/body craves for comfort food at times ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
  17. This morning I got up at 4 and walked to a pub which was showing the World Cup soccer match between Japanese and Holland. Very exciting. THe score was 2-2, with Japanese equalizing twice. THe only thing wrong is that afterwards my clothes smelled of smoke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been super exciting! It reminds me of the time we watched the soccer game with Oma and Opa. Sachi also went to her friend’s place a few weeks ago to watch an early morning soccer game, which started around 3 or 4 am. She wasn’t sure she wanted to stay up those ungodly hours but she enjoyed it in the end, maybe not the game itself but spending time with friends!

      I cycled to Macandrew bay yesterday morning and met up with Michael and Anita. They asked about you and I gave them a full update of your trip. They are planning to go to Southern America for two months at the end of this year. Michael sounded keen to cycle in Japan with you but he wasn’t quite sure about freedom camping, ha-ha.

      Delete
  18. You can tell Michael that I am also not so sure about freedom camping anymore. And if I do it in the future there will be more use of internet and accommodation! TODAY I had a walk around Shibuya’s. DO you remember the movie Perfect Days about the toilet cleaner? IT 2as filmed at Shibuya’s and used toilets at parks in the area. I ended up at a park today Nabeshima Shoto Park which may have been in that movie. I met an interesting Frenchman there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that’s amazing!! Some of the toilets shown in the film were quite memorable! I wonder if you encountered the one that was visible from outside until you go inside and lock the door. That certainly requires courage to use it, ha-ha.

      Delete
  19. P.s. I will be meeting Ian as arranged on Wednesday. YOu could let him know on Line if you have him as a contact. THe next day I will set off to the Oki no hosomichi again. I have given myself a couple of extra days so that I only need to average about 40 kilometers per day for the rest of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly. I can do that. I’ll let Ian know about your plan on Wednesday.

      Delete
    2. Michael would be happy to hear the upgrade in the travelling style ๐Ÿ˜† He reduced his FTE to 0.4 as two new teachers started working. He is contemplating when to retire completely. It was so good to catch up with him and Anita. We’ll certainly organise a dinner as soon as you return here๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
    3. PS. I also started a bit longer fasting - 24 hour fasting now and then. It certainly required to get used to at the start, but I’m getting more comfortable to sometimes skip lunch (& breakfast, as I don’t usually eat breakfast) especially when I’m busy at work. Intermittent and longer fasting seems to work well for my mental clarity and physical wellbeing.

      Delete
  20. It was nice to talk with you yesterday. Ian asked you the following question ๐Ÿ™‹ You are the best person to answer this!

    Mami-san, pleae remind me. What does William like to eat/like not to eat? What is he craving for during his long journey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can tell Ian that I am not vegetarian anymore, although that was after I knew him first. I love Indian food as you know, but each time I tried it on this trip it didn't digest quickly or well. Maybe spaghetti is what I haven’t had for a while. No pressure on him, though. I also like eating at family restaurants like Jonathan’s or Denny’s

      Delete
    2. I let Ian know. He may not agree with your evaluation on family restaurants though ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
  21. Hi Dad, congratulations on your PB today! You have been crushing the parkruns and must be getting very fit. I dropped off parkruns this semester and during exams, but i plan to get back into it. You've inspired me. It's so cool to read snippets about your adventures on this thread. That dream about Sachi sounded more like a nightmare ๐Ÿ˜‚ Wishing you lots of good energy to sustain you for the rest of the trip. ใŒใ‚“ใฐใ‚Œ !

    ReplyDelete
  22. I heard that Touhoku area entered Tsuyu - rainy season. Hope you are not suffering from too much rain and wetness.

    I agree with Iacinta about your remarkable improvement in park runs! It’s great to see you are meeting and connecting with others through the runs as well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, I,ve had a lot of rain recently, but I,m getting clever at seeing it come and avoiding it. A couple of days ago I slept with the tent set up and squeezed exactly into the small space of an azumaya between the seat and the table. The last 2 or 3 days have been the coldest at just 14 degrees, but I,m pretty tough in it! Today was the same but after starting at 4;30 a.m. the weather seems to have come right and outsie is now 24 degrees. I arrived at Fukushima just minutes ago, and it is a beautiful long long entry downhill into the city. Even batter than Dunedin. And I could immediately see the sign of this Internet Cafe chain. so now a shower, soft cream, a massage chair and a rest. I also need to d\find a bicycle shop as my brakes are really worn doiwn after a lot of miles. I am a couple of days early and will use that to overshoot Morioka, returning there by train to do the fun run and then back up to where I catch the ferry. That gives me a week in Hokkaido and not cutting efgverything so fine. The last fun run at Sunnoblahblah was great. I did it barefoot along with another foreign gentleman. And then after the run a very kind guy Inoue Takashi jogged miles with me too show an old shrine and also the local Michinoeki. I think he wanted to interoduce me to some proper Japanese fare, after hearing that i OFTEN GO TO mACDONALDS AND FAMILY RESTAURANTS. [sORRY CAN.T TURN CAPS OFF. ggOING FOR ANOTHER PB IF i CAN AT mORIOKA OR EVEN fUKUOKA IF THE COURSES ARE REASWONABLEY FLAT. iACINTA, OSAKA,S COURSE IS EVEN HILLIER THAN DUNEDIN!  .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t expect that the temperature in Touhoku can be still that low in the morning. Don’t catch a cold, William!

      I’ve never been Fukushima but sounds like a very beautiful place. Sachi brought down a box of jigsaw ๐Ÿงฉ puzzles and we are working on it on our dining table at the moment. My work at Uni is a bit quiet at the moment due to mid-semester break.

      Delete
    2. It’s Friday evening right now and we are very much chilled in the lounge. I’m listening to an audiobook while knitting. Sachi started drinking a lot of green or roasted rice tea and chai tea and eating ็ด่ฑ† quite a bit! Sachi’s formal is coming up next week. We’ll show you photos when you rerun to Dunedin. All the best with your park run tomorrow!

      Delete
    3. Hey dad it’s Sachi, I hope you are having so much fun! I am so jealous, not only because you are travelling Japan but how many restaurants like Joyful you are able to eat at haha! There is less than one week til my school formal and I wish you would’ve been able to see me all dressed up but I will show you photos when you are back. I think you will like the dress I picked! I can’t wait to hear about your travels and new experiences, stay safe in the colder nights and eat good food :)

      Delete
  24. Thanks as always to you guys for commenting and taking part in the trip that way.At the moment the weather is good. I am about 70 km south of Morioka. There was no park run nearby last Saturday, but on the 4th I will return to Morioka by train to taake part. Then I catch it backagain to Hachinohe [which I should have reached by next Friday] after and then jump on the ferry to Hokkaido. I only have about a week there before flying from Chitose to Fukuoka. I`m not counting the days, but in some way I am! Sachi, enjoy your formal, and I will tell you about my one formal experience too. Of course it,s embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It’s always good to hear from you, William. The guy call himself Rain, who is also cycling the length of Japan from Kagoshima to Hokkaido sent me an email and photo of you two. He also put it up on his Instagram, which Rumi found. Rumi also figured out the exact location you were in the photo using AI! ๐Ÿค– Sachi is truly excited about the upcoming formal and I’m happy that she can experience it. We are counting days until your return, too. Enjoy the remainder of your trip and warm/hot weather there as you are returning to the cold winter ๐Ÿฅถ soon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We went to the Grange last Saturday and drove to Brighton from Mosgiel via a backroad, which provided a stunning view! Sachi was a bit worried if our car could manage to go up the steep hill, ha-ha.

    We are also travelling to Wellington from Monday to Thursday next week. Fingers crossed for the good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just to get you up to date: just as you have both gone to the north island, I have gone there too! I am in fact just 15 km south of Sapporo. That means that I have less than 100 km to do. The reasopon for that is is that I reconsidered going all the way back to Morioka even if it was by shinkansen. My body is telling me to take it easy near the end of the trip. So when I reached Hachinose yesterday I took the ferry leaving in the next hour. I had my own wee cabin, and shared the ships onsen with a view over the harbour and ocean when we started the 8 hour trip. It was mostly truck drivers in their own special section and just a handful of ordinary passengers - quite spooky. I was the only cyclist and not even motorcycles. We got to Tomakomai at about 9 in the evening and I just set up my tent on the first patch of grass. No one bothered me. I woke up at three a.m. and was cycling by 3:30. Now I have reached a Kaikatsu internet club at noon. I wil type this, have a shower and do the laundry. Then, on Rains recommendation I will book a reclining chair to sleep in overnight. He says it is comfortable, and much cheaper than a hotel. But in case it isnt so good, I will treat myself to a proper hotel in Sapporo. That leaves me with a few days tro wait. I may spend them in and around Otaru, going to the library every day and writing up and organising my notes and mementoes. I should be well rested up to give the Fukuoka park run a good shot before the flight a few hours later. Phew, its all coming together and the end is in Sight。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, sounds like you are really seeing the end of the long trip! It’s good that you are listening to your body and looking after it. I can’t imagine what cycling at 3:30 am like though, ha-ha.

      I applied for renewal of my passport and ordering a new one for Sachi online, which was super stressful as I had only a small time window in order to receive them in Dunedin. As you can imagine, those Japanese application processes and online forms were not well set up and I had to go through quite a rigmarole, requiring Rumi’s urgent assistance. It was great that she had power to exert over some processes๐Ÿ˜„

      Sachi’s formal was finished now. You’ll see her lovely photos when you get back. On the formal night, Rina and I had a quiet home dinner at our place, which was very nice.

      I’m thinking of having your welcome back dinner about a week after you return. Are you game for it?

      Delete
    2. Hi William, here is an email from someone you just met!


      Hi William.
      I just want to say it was nice to meet you and thank you for a nice conversation. Wish we had more time to talk but we can stay in touch by email. I wish you a happy stay until you travel home.

      Best regards Kjell Frode
      Sendt fra min iPhone

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First draft map